Saturday, February 9, 2013

Reflect on the week’s readings and content. In your own words, summarize key points related to managerial motivation, traits, and effectiveness. 

Managerial motivation is the ability of a leader to influence subordinate with his/her managerial skill. Motivation is a complex phenomenon. Several theories attempt to explain how motivation works. In management circles, probably the most popular explanations of motivation are based on the needs of the individual.A strong need for power is relevant to managerial role requirements involving the use of power and influence. Leader should be able to exercise power to influence subordinates, peers, and superiors. A motivated leader exercise power for the benefit others need, not for his own selfish interest, they do not intimidate subordinate, nor feel too big of the post they're occupying. They have vision to better the organization,less material possession,ready to take advice from subordinate and colleagues in the same profession. A number of factors can motivate a person to reach a goal, including: A challenge, money, praise, satisfaction,freedom, fear, family, insecurity, Competition,fulfillment,integrity, honor, reputation, responsibility,prestige,needs, and love. Any of these motivators can prompt an employee to action. A motivational leader uses participative , coaching style of managerial behavior and less of autocratic(who commands and expects compliance, who is dogmatic and positive, and leads by the ability to withhold or give rewards and punishment). Giving suggestion and allow other members of the group to contribute instead of imposing orders. This make subordinates have the sense of belonging, co-operate and participate more.
Managerial traits, the emphasis of early researchers in detecting a good leader was on the traits of loyalty, bravery, trustworthiness and compassion. They said that a person having these trait will be good and successful leader. However, further studies presented leadership personal traits referred to as "Big Five" to include: Surgency-extroversion(outgoing), energy/activity level need for power(assertive);Conscientiousness-dependability personal integrity need for achievement;Agreeableness-cheerful and optimistic nurturance (sympathetic, helpful), need for affiliation;Adjustment-emotional stability,self-esteem,self-control;Intelligence-curious and inquisitive,open minded learning oriented.
An effective leader should be able to leverage motivational skills and big five personal trait. Leader should be able to adjust their focus to challenges, contingent thinking, flexibility and diatomic capability to be effective leader.

Then assess your own leadership skills, traits, and competencies. Where are you strong? How can you leverage those strengths to improve your value to organizations like your employer? How might contingency theory and situational variables assist in that process? 
Assessing my leadership skills, traits, and competencies with my understanding of Yukl text will be an affirmative of specific traits related to leadership effectiveness. These can be define in all capacities that I have served in the past to present.High energy level and stress tolerance help me cope with the hectic pace, long hours, and unrelenting demands of most managerial job. I work late to get things done, most especially when there are limited information sources. I see myself as being emotionally mature,self-awareness of strengths and weakness, and oriented self-improvement instead of denying weaknesses and fantasizing success. I used to be intimidated with a new challenge but through persistent, I gain more confidence and become master.
In all the places I have served, my story has always be" the best actor leave the stage while the ovation is loudest" Both my boss and subordinate will not want me to leave, even my peer.  I value my integrity,which  make me design the way people perceive me which is of great honor in religious setting.Taking responsibility for my actions even when I make mistakes.Integrity is an important aspect of ethical, authentic, and spiritual leadership Yukl (2013, p.150). 
I used to expect more in my achievement orientation now, little did I know that I am inline, with what Yukl point out on page 152 that,"managers with a moderately high amount of achievement motivation are more effective than managers with low achievement, or managers with very high achievement motivation.
Interpersonal skill, has enhance my effectiveness of relationship-oriented behavior. Specific types of interpersonal skills such as empathy, social insight, charm, tact and diplomacy, persuasiveness, and oral communication. Ability to use cues from others to understand behavior how it affect other people. This skill is sometimes called "self-monitoring," and it helps people adjust their behavior to fit the requirements of the situation (snyder, 1974; Zaccaro, Foli, & Kenny, 1991). I think there is need to work on professional social network which is my area of weakness, to widen my sources of information in time of challenges. Contingency theory and situational variables will help if flexible.





References: Francis olowe(2005), Alexandra P. Young-Adams (2011), Gary Yukl (2013).

No comments:

Post a Comment