Saturday, April 19, 2014

A521.4.3.RB_OyeyemiOlusanya



SUBTLETIES OF COMMUNICATION AND HIDDEN MESSAGES
Sometimes people misunderstood my intention or let me say what observer sees in my body language are totally different from my thinking. For instance someone ask, “What is wrong? Are you angry? Many a times my response is no, but that was what they pensive with my body language. This happen mostly when I looked door. Observers see confusion in my facial look. Seriously, whenever I am confused it can be easily noticed because I will be short of words. Nonverbal communications are what give first impression about self before verbal. Nonverbal language: as facial expressions, gesture and postures, and with special relationships. McKay et al. (2009, P.800).
Sometimes the context is difficult for others to ascertain. I may be soliloquizing about how tedious the week workload is affecting my class work, but colleagues asking, “Oye are you Okay? Is anything wrong with your family?”
I am beginning to see how cultural differences affect both verbal and nonverbal languages. Many gesture are restricted to a specific peer group, others are typical of a particular region or culture, and some body movements are universal McKay et al. (2009, P. 834).
USN has a pool of nation’s diversity culture; hardly would you see a tribe or nations that are not represented. In less than three years of my service in three commands and one Ship, I’ve worked with people from many nations including many from different American states. Working together as family, relates as one force. Body language means different things to us and even some verbal languages.
For instances, when we are discussing and someone asked me “Oye! are you mad? ‘Mad’ in Africa means “Crazy” but in America they interchange it with “Angry” Even if I was not angry before, that question got me angry. Here you will see that even the use of language differ with different culture.
Recently, I observed in one round table meeting with my Commanding Officer (CO), and my division, that I was the only the one leaning forward all others seated relaxed though still responding to the conversation as I did. I felt embarrassed as if I was hearing impaired for leaning forward then I adjusted my posture, but few seconds latter I was leaning forward again, on and on like that. With this study I come to understand what was going on then; erect posture is generally associated with higher spirits, greater confidence, and more openness and interest McKay et al. (2009, P. 883).
In Nigeria where I grew up, there is what we call ‘official language’. Irrespective of your age, who ever is your box has to be respected with your tone of voice, the way you relate and address them. That has been part of me, but in Navy it is different, I was used to addressing my Chief as well as officers and my entire superior as ‘Sir’ but corrected several times that “sir” is only for officers. In Africa, even your Teacher in schools, Pastor in church and anybody superior to you in whatever capacity are addressed as ‘sir’ or ‘Ma’ as a means of salutation. Paralanguage is the vocal component of speech, considered apart from the verbal content. It includes pitch, resonance, articulation, tempo, volume, and rhythm McKay et al. (2009, P. 958). When addressing people officially, it has to be more different from when off work.
Finally, one more thing I have to work on is to always have it at the back of my mind the purpose of agendas at every communication. Listeners sometimes misconstrue me for “I know it all” have in mind that; the agenda serve to build up and preserve an existential position, a basic stance in the world, also promote ulterior motives and needs. I will try and put in practice the four corrective suggestions; to let my audience know about my agenda, keep track of the agenda, reward myself with something nice when I block an impulse to use the old agenda and rehearse a new position, not to be stuck on one agenda.
Hope this will make me a better orator.

Reference:
Matthew .M, Martha.D, and Patric .F (2009). MESSAGES The Communication Skills Book Third edition,

No comments:

Post a Comment