Thursday, April 4, 2013

A500.2.3.RB_OYEYEMIOLUSANYA-TELL YOUR STORY


My name is Oyeyemi Olusanya, hail from Iju (Town near Akure city) in Ondo State, Nigeria West Africa.  I was born on the July 11th, 1975 to the family of late Aladesae Oyeyemi (High Chief Asaoye of Isa-oye Quarters, Iju).

To begin with, Nigerian education system is a little different from American school system.  It is called, 6.3.3.4.  that is;
·      6 years of primary schooling
·      3 years of junior secondary schooling (J.S.S 1 to 3)
·      3 years of senior secondary schooling (S.S.S 1 to 3)
·      4 years of university education
This is equivalent to American school system,
Elementary school (K-5), middle school (6-8), high school (9-12), then, undergraduate program.

I came from a polygamous family of four wives.  My father was a goldsmith, and later turns it to Bicycle repairer meaning he was the first in town, though the business stops long ago. He died as a commercial farmer last year, own big cocoa farm spread on acres of land. My mother, Oyeyemi Modupe.  She trade in foodstuffs (Beans, Rise, pepper etc.), she buys her goods from far north (Kano, Sokoto, Maiduguri etc.).  Sells in southwest, Ondo, and Ekiti state.  She’s popularly known as “Iya-Elewa” meaning, the woman that sells beans.

My story is like a tree with many branches; love life, academic life, family life etc.  I will be telling my leadership story in the course of my academic life.  I was led to enrolled in primary one in 1982 at Local Authority primary school, Iju.  My mother completed her house early in 1983 and we moved in. We did not live in the same house with my father.
My school has to change because of distance to our new house.  In the new school, (St. Matthew’s Anglican primary school). I had to repeat the same class that I have passed. Therefore, I repeat primary one.  I became the class leader popularly called “class captain” in my primary three through primary five. 

Something happened after the promotion to primary six.  The school has just six-block of classrooms that were not enough for the students.  The community secondary school by the other side of the road (Elu-Iju high school, Iju) gave us some classrooms in addition. Our headmaster was transferred to another school, the new one made a new change.  She (Mrs Agbalaja) stop student from crossing the express road because of the age.  However, the classrooms that were available are not enough.  That year, a private nursery and primary school was introduced which reduced the number of pupil admission that year.  Headmaster looked into promotion sheet, in a class where 30 pupils were promoted, the last five in their class average will be withdrawn to the previous class.  I was withdrawn to primary five after promotion to primary six.

In primary six, government transfer the headmaster (Mr Olanipekun) back to the school.  When the time for prefect selection came, our headmaster announces on Friday that we should dress nice on while come next Monday.  His system of selection was democracy by open ballot system. There was a boy, a good friend of mine.  Very brilliants.  Every one of us believes Ilesanmi to be the next head boy.
At the assembly on Monday money, where we normally sing, pray and listen to the announcement each day.  The headmaster, asked us to nominate candidate for different position then, we vote for them by raising hands, monitored by all staff to prevent double counting and voting.
I was the first person to nominate, I nominated Ohunakin Ilesanmi. To my dismay, the second nomination was my name from Oyaniran Monisola. After the voting, I lead Ilesanmi with five points.  However, our headmaster disagrees because it was obvious that he wants the other person to lead.  He reject the voting and conducted another one, encouraged everybody to vote.  To his surprise, I won by 25 points.

After our primary school, we dispersed to various high schools.  Fortunately, Ilesanmi and I found our selves in the community high school (Elu- Iju High School, Iju).  Both of us were the class captains in our various classes from J.S.S. 1 to J.S.S. 3.
In S.S.S. 1, we both choose science class as our option.  We both reject the offer to be the class captain for that year asked someone else to go for it.

In S.S.S. 2, there was a crisis in the school after a month that our seniors were selected for school prefects.  One of their classmate, disrespect a female teacher, when the principal hared the issue he decided to give them a punishment.  In those days, the punishment was to cut school main field grass.  They refused to do so including the prefect among them.  The principal decided to set up another promotion examination for them and raise the promotion criteria.  They also refused to take the exam after been promoted.

The following week, Principle dissolved their leadership and selected two male and two female from S.S.S. 2 to lead the student for that year.  Fortunately, the two male was Ilesanmi and I.  The following year, in our S.S.S. 3, we were honoured for successful leadership.  It took the whole staff more than two months to decide who the next Head boy would be.  Ilesanmi was the most brilliant but Olusanya has the leadership skill required.  Looking at our promotion result, out of nine subjects offered, Ilesanmi had Credit and distinction all through.  I had seven credits, one distinction, and one pass.  To my dismay, my result reads 10 subjects, which increased my credits to 8.
I learnt later that it was recorded for me to have the same credit with him because some teachers want me as the next head boy.  Among the staff, I had more supporters.

One afternoon, we were having personal study during lunchtime.  I was the initiator of the personal study group, which Ilesanmi was a prominent member. Then, Olorunsola Dele and Orimaye Adebayo.  A teacher sent for Ilesanmi, they were sitting under a big tree in front of our class.  Few minute later, they sent for me.  When I got there, I saw Ilesanmi stood aloof.  They sent me to a junior class to curb them of their noise during lunchtime.  I went there and in a few minute the whole school was at peace. When I came back, they faced Ilesanmi.  “That is what we asked you to do, you can not even command your junior”.  They asked us to leave.
The following Monday, Ilesanmi was announced as the head boy while I was made the labour prefect.  Students were supersized because everybody was expecting my name to be mentioned for head boy, for I had done it once successfully.  Later, I heard that the staff concluded that I posses more leadership skill and that skill will be more useful as a labour prefect than head boy.  Labour prefect is closely related to that of prime minister while the Head boy position is like Queen Elizabeth in UK.  Even now, some of our junior still refers to me as the head boy, because I was the one performing even when Ilesanmi had a good idea, he will communicate it through me.

In my undergraduate days, I was afraid of going into student politics because it was obvious that lots of cult boy were involved. These people create much turbulence in the school and kill at will.  However, in final year, I was nominated for senate from the school of engineering.  I served in the student parliament for one year.  At the same time, the president of drama group in the school.

First job I got after graduation was a teaching job in a private school of nursery through high school, a private school in Iju.  I taught Mathematic and Computer both in primary school and High school, at the same time the school electric mentainance man.  After my first year in the school, the principle nominated five of the staff to coordinated the election for prefect selection in the school for 2005/2006 academic sessions.  I was the leader of electoral committee.  The proprietress has introduced democracy in the school since she joins politics.  That year, she was the commissioner for youth and women affairs in Ondo state.
The election was open ballot system, the student nominates their candidate, and votes for them we record the outcome on board so that the looser can contest for another post.  I submitted election report to the principal.  He took the list to the proprietress but she disagree with the person that won the position of head boy because, the proprietress was lobbying to be as a senate candidate in her party (People Democratic Parties), but the boy that won the head boy in her school’s grand father was a strong antagonist to her ambition in the party.
However, it was too late to manipulate the result been open ballot that the entire student already have the result.  I was suspended for one month for conducting a free and fair election.  Though before the end of the month, Parent Teacher Association of the school sent delegate to appeal to me to come back but I did not. I got a job to oil and Gas subsidiary company six months later in Lagos.  I worked there for four and half years and moved to united state late 2010.

I see ability to lead in me as a natural thing, even when I want to run away from it something will happen that I will be left with only the option to lead.  There was still some indirect leadership that I control the decision of the leader both younger and elders.

At times, my suggestion may be neglected but things will surely turn around that they will come back to it.  I am not ways right but my leadership ability paved ways for me.  I can say that faithfulness in my opinion or assumption and suggestion has helped me.
I may say that, the skill was acquired from both parents because both of them were leaders and orator, but more from my mum.  For example, both in primary school and secondary school her opinion was cherished.  My mother’s opinion and suggestion at  “Parent Teacher Association” (PTA) meeting. For this reason, teachers seek for her availability at every meeting, because she is a very busy woman.  “Even though she’s not learned but wise” that is the congregational evaluation of her whenever she contributes to bible study in the church.

References:




No comments:

Post a Comment