Monday, September 5, 2016


                   






Making choice between career path
Olusanya Oyeyemi
Walden University
MMSL 6130
Dr. Cherif Sidialicherif

19, July 2015







Abstract
Alan Wilson find himself in pandemonium of thought with several career options to chose from and make a difference. This paper expresses my view and suggestion of what career path Alan should follow corroborated with four experts and CEOs opinions.
















Ordinarily I feel more comfortable coaching what I know than be a choachee because I believe one learn more when you share your knowledge. Coaching is not totally difficult for me unless I am completely novice. Transiting through the different types of question is not difficult for me most especially when the questions follow a chronological order, it make it easy to transit from one to the other.  The lesson I learn through these experience is how powerful great question can make a productive different in the mood of both coach and coachee.

I have had challenges with coaching people without a desired result, but now I know what question is the most appropriate with time for desire result in coaching and mentoring. If we have to do the exercise again I would prefer to be coachee, a good listener who is ready to benefit from other person’s skills because Marquardt pointed out that “in today’s turbocharged environment, no one can master all the date needed to address all globally complex problems (2007).

Our resources for this week shed more light on my personal observation about attitude and how people relate with me or perceive my habit both at work and home. I used to ask friends, colleagues, and subordinate to give me feedback on how my habit affect them. Goleman made me understand that “people don’t tell leaders the whole truth about their emotional impact for many reasons” (2001). But with my observation of coming out from behind myself into the conversation and facing the reality of life, I realize that I need to be more patient, even though I love to share my knowledge. Flaherty pointed out that, “we learn a new thing if we would listen to someone with whom we don’t agree” (2010).

Using Goleman suggestion to rewire my brain to word more emotionally behaviour, my plan are to; first, define my purpose in life, accurately timing now that I can aspiring to be entrepreneur, picturing myself on how I want my company to be for worker to put in the best creativity. I want to see my staff as an extended family members catering for each other beyond paid responsibilities. Secondly, leverage my status with workers the way leadership ego will not deprive workers from asking probing questions as it is necessary.

I will establish a listening atmosphere where everyone could say their mind freely without the fear of loosing their job or trust of their superior. Thirdly, invest time to know everyone better, beyond official responsibility. For instance, formal, longest, and last military president of the federal republic of Nigeria, president Babangida was referenced as the bravest leader due to his listening ability and exceptional memory for names and faces to recollect the names of of colleagues, subordinates, opponents, and even their wives and other family members” (2013). This enables him the longest military regime in Nigeria. Forthly, endeavour to make these activities a continuous culture, make sure every modality for its enforcement is supported. And finnaly the fifth one, make it a common practice that will result in organization culture.
As coach or mentor this will prepear the floor for experience with new behaviours and seizing opportunities inside and outside of work to practice them… - eventually triggers in our brain the neural connections necessary for genuine change to occur” (Goleman, D., Boyatzis, R., & McKee, A., 2001).

As a coach I usually venture into it as it comes but situation are different because quality of the response is affected by content, manner of delivery, pace and timing (2007). Therefore, I am not saying I dedicate a special time to preparation other than my initial acquired skill or working experience that I intend to share.  With this course, I have learnt that it is necessary to prepare and release our coaching techniques even though in the process of listening. It is not prosper to be thinking of the next question but to make our own suggestion if not mention.
 In the past I have not had a credible record because I don’t usually see the targeted result even though they may realize my point latter and reference it when it is too late to apply. To me, the first step is the most challenging if I can get the person to be interested at the initial stage of the coaching, transitioning is easy thereof. I would have the same challenge if I need to coach someone superior to me, once I have his attention at the initial state, to build upon his/ her response to coach would not be problem. In the past it is difficult to see coach that will listen to my own side of the story like what I had in my conversation with my partner. I think her listening skill have to do with all she learn in the leadership program as a whole. We both exchange are experiences.
Reference
FLOW
GROW
DEVELOPMENTAL
MINERAL RIGHT
MAIN STEPS

·      Establish Relationship
·      Recognize Opening
·      Observe/Assess
·      Enroll Client
·      Coaching Conversation
·      Goal Setting
·      Reality
·      Option
·      Will do
·      Defining Success
·      A Coaching-Friendly Context
·      Coaching Mindset Coachable Coachee
·      A Challenge That can provoke Learning
·      A “coachable Mind-set” on the part of the manager
·      Stopping the Dialogue creating coaching Opportunities
·      Observing Effectively and Providing Balanced and Helpful Feedback
·      Collaboratively Interpreting the Meaning of Performance Gaps
·      Creating a plan for change and following Up.
·      Keeping Partner focus on current impact and result
·      Probe Feeling
·      Don’t comment on the response
·      Ideal outcome(what do you feel ?)
·      Follow-up
CHARACTERISTICS

Framework for coach to creatively design their coaching method
·      Genius: is to set the goal
·      Energy: of the coachee to achieve the desire end
·      Nurture: Coach’s ability to explore creative ideas
·      Inhibitors: projected set backs.
·      Utopia: make the end result feel real
Developmental coaching model that works for fast and new-economy companies
Debrief yourself
USES
FLOW enables coaching to be structure chronologically to achieve end result. FLOW is a tool to design actions to be taken during coaching and diagnose coaching failure.
GROW is useful for coaching innovation from old style to meet the demand of new era.
Mineral Right influence : reason for coaching, context, own behavior, and coaching the right people
To be here, Prepared to Be Nowhere Else
Coaching models:                           
1.     Which coaching model do you believe would best fit with your leadership style? Why?
2.     For the organization and individuals you work with, which approach do you feel would be the most beneficial for you to use? Why?
3.     The models discussed refer specifically to coaching. How could they also be used for mentoring? Would they need to be modified? If so, how?
4.     What is the value of having a specific framework in both coaching and mentoring?

With my understanding of all the coaching models from different authors, FLOW is more appropriate for me than any others because it follow step-by-step guide on how to coach and achieve the desire end. Its steps are easy to understand and put into practice. My leadership style has always been based on friendship, which is the first stage in FLOW method.
In my present organization (Navy) GROW will be more appropriate because it more of a standardize method, emphasis is on goal setting which is the military slogan of all day and priority. Reality is design in Military via all feasibility studies with all alternative means in place to avoid all obstacle and still reach or achieve the desire end.
So far, I have not been able to really differentiate mentoring from coaching, I see the two as intertwine because the friendship and emotion that seem to be more important to mentoring is also necessary to effective coaching. That been said, with my understanding of this topic all those four model could be apply to mentoring because in most cases friendship relationship always ends up in emotional feeling which is the unique quality of mentoring.
The value of having a specific framework in both coaching and mentoring is that they could be focus on their unique role in organizational building.  Lankau et al pointed out “Mentors foster nurturing environments wherein proteges may develop faster and more completely than their peers and are therefore better prepared to compete in the organization and as leaders” (1996). While Kram and Hall sees “mentoring as an antidote to stress during corporate trauma” (1989). Meanwhile, Showers and Joyce inferred that “successful peer coaching teams developed skills in collaboration and enjoyed the experience so much that they wanted to continue their collegial partnerships after they accomplished their initial goals” (2002). Such specific framework implies that mentoring could be concentrate on staff development while coaching could be a means to an effective collaboration in organization.


Flaherty, J. (2010). Coaching: Evoking excellence in others (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA:
            Elsevier Butterworth-Heinemann.

Hunt, J. M., & Weintraub, J. R. (2011). The coaching manager: Developing top talent in
            business (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.

Goleman, D., Boyatzis, R., & McKee, A. (2001). Primal leadership: The hidden drivers
            of great. Harvard Business Review, 79(11), 43-51.
Retrieved from: Business
            Source Complete database
Kram  E. K & Hall T.D  (1989). Mentoring as an Antidote to Stress During Corporate Trauma. Human Resources Management, 9, Vol. 28, Number 4, Pp. 493-510. Retrieved from EBSCO host database; http://sfxhosted.exlibrisgroup.com/waldenu?sid=google&auinit=KE&aulast=Kram&atitle=Mentoring+as+an+antidote+to+stress+during+corporate+trauma&id=doi:10.1002/hrm.3930280405&title=Human+resource+management&volume=28&issue=4&date=1989&spage=493&issn=0090-4848
Showers B. & Joyce B. (2002). The Evolution of Peer coaching. Educational Leadership. Retrieved from EBSCO;
Lankau M.J., Scandura.T.A., Tejeda M.J., and Werther B.W ( 1996). Perspective On Mentoring. Leadership and organizational Development Journal. 17.3 p.50. Expanded  Academic ASAP

No comments:

Post a Comment