Monday, September 5, 2016









Portfolio of Visions
Olusanya Oyeyemi
Walden University
MMSL 6900
                                                               Dr. Marilys Taylor
August 21, 2016








Abstract
This paper enumerates my life mission statement, life vision statement, Walden path, and key areas of my portfolio of vision in MSL program, under six topics; Family and home, Financial and Career, Spiritual and ethical, Physical and Health, Social and Cultural, and Mental and Education. I expatiate on my goals and action steps in the next one, five, fifteen, and twenty years.







Life Mission Statement
In one's lifetime, it is always a good thing to think of the time of old and has a plan, that is why all forms of insurance are existing, bank savings and God also instructed us to be prepared for the end time when everything shall come to an end. I am more than satisfied with the syllabi of this program challenging us to put in writing our vision statement for the time of old. My life mission statement is to help anybody that needs my help at whatever capacity God direct me. Make people happy and at the same time see life in another dimension, teach life moral lesson, expose the secret of life that leads to salvation and willfully make a change if they need to make an amendment. Exploring my God giving talents to develop scripts, enact it and produce movies that will make a correction to the way of life and enhance the society norm.
Life Vision Statement
My life vision statement is to first establish my own business that will give me freedom to pursue my dream. After that, I will be devoted to writing the inspirational script, action movies that will teach and enlightens humanity. I will write stories that will not be sectional, but address the politics, religion, business and every aspect of human lifestyle, irrespective of the race, sex and age of the people. Every one of my audiences will find my work useful and impactful in their life. I will fulfil my dream by establishing a studio that will improve Nollywood production with the world standard, and spiritual undertone entertainment industry. I will be committed to writing inspirational stories, enact and produce movies that will not just entertain but make the positive impact on humanity.
My Walden Path
I chose my Walden path of the Master in Leadership one, to learn what is expected of an effective leadership. Even though I have not occupied any leadership role since I started my working career yet, I desired this program because of some fortune I had to lead in my early life right from elementary school through to my college. I deem it fit that it is reasonable to plan ahead before such opportunity comes my way again than for it to come and meet me unplanned.  Two, I chose this course to become a professional businessman, learn what it takes to start and sustain a business in this century where technology changes every day.
Sequel to my reflection journals, many topics ideas struck me in the course of this program and I have put them into actions immediately. This course gave me an analysis of how the effectiveness of team depends on the role-play by the leader of the group and how the leader's relationship with the followers enhances the ability of the leader to bring out the creativity in the group. In this century where the whole world has become a global village, I learn in this course the competencies necessary to become a global leader; over sea knowledge, personal character to accommodate others, sensitive to cultural diversity. Skills and ability, ambitious to learn the new culture, global strategic thinking of foresight and sharing ideas over networking, inspirational skills for the better understanding of employee to give an appropriate coaching and mentoring, eloquent communication of convincing voice coupled with enhancement of information technology. All these are the characteristics of the global leaders. This course exposed me to what paradigm shift mean, that is, ability to spot where changes in system or business are necessary (Barker, 1992, p.149).
In addition, another thing that struck me was the tools given to identify organization problems. Tools like PEST, Chess Game, and Crisis management was easy for me to apply and able to see things from others perspectives. Mintzberg inferred that even though the pressures of the workplace hardly encourage thoughtful action, managers are expected to slow down and reflect…companies must commit to one another and their enterprise (2009). This program also gave me what I need to maximize the potential of my workers, and I learned that coaching and mentoring fully engage workers in their potential in this era. I learn how to begin a coaching dialogue, rewire my brain to make a different as a mentor, make single conversation, and understanding and selecting coaching models. I realized that mentoring enhance staff development while coaching is a means to an effective collaboration in an organization. “Successful peer coaching team developed skills in collaboration and enjoyed the experience so much that they wanted to continue their collegial partnerships after initial goals” (Showers and Joyce, 2002). Lankau et al., inferred that “mentors foster nurturing environments wherein protégé may develop faster and more compete in the organization and as leaders” (1996). Senge pointed out that “today’s problem come from yesterday’s solution” (2006), this struck me along with organization ‘stall point’. I learn in this course that at a particular time in the life cycle of any organization, they would experience stall point; when a premium position backfires, when innovation management breakdown, when a core business is abandon when talent comes up short, and when what you know is no longer so. I learn that in the situation like this, leaders have to create more holistic measurement systems to overcome limitations.
Reflecting on all these struck points, my orientation about leading people has changed, now I understand the importance of sharing others view of circumstances, it does not mean one is a weak leader but it shows leadership flexibility in management and enhances the leader-follower relationship. In addition, more vocabularies were added; paradigm shift and stall points were new to me and at the same time, these new ideas has propelled my entrepreneurship to be an active social change originator. For this reasons, I have taken a bold step of faith to make my impact known in social change activity in my community. I am in the process of getting a business license for the small business for African groceries stores. This move will put a stop to one to two hours’ drive before my people could shop for African/Caribbean foodstuff.
Family and Home
Hope to grow a Christian family, a family that will be Christ like sample where Bible is practicable. In the next one year, I want to move closer to my family, engage in work that will make bring me closer to my family, have time to train my children and show my loving caring for my wife. I grew up in a culture where extended family is cherished; therefore, I will do all within my capacity to show my appreciation to my in-laws. In the next five years, I would have been well established in my new location and would have more resources to travel around. I would take my children to  my country for their academics, study our culture and learn my local language.

In the next fifteen years, I would unite all my siblings’ family and my brothers and sisters family as well. I will make sure the big families continue to grow in Christ and in unity. Make sure we know each other, closer to each other by celebrating together.  And in the next 20 years, I would be more of a home person, reduce my workload and have more time for my wife.



Financial and Career
In the next one year, my goal is in line with one of our previous discussion in the class where we discussed our plan for community development project and I chose small business due to the stress involve before we can find African/Caribbean groceries in the high desert.  To the glory of God, all is set for the business to take off and this will be one of the achievements of this program. By September unfailingly, the store will witness a ground opening and start full operation. In the next five years, apart from serving my people to relieve them of the stress involve to drive a long hour before they could buy our local foods, the business will be a supporting income to my family and make my family busy while I am away pursuing my career in film industry.

In fifteen years from now, the business will be the primary and be supporting income for the family, as soon as I begin to make money in the entertainment industry, the money will be re-invested in the business for expansion. The vision is to be shipping in and out of America as the business continues to grow. In the twenty years, I will be handing over the management of the business to the interested ones among my children, those that have shown interest by getting involve in the business and know in and out of the business after their university degree.


Spiritual and Ethical
For the fact that I am new in my present location, and all family responsibility of the young father, I have been relaxing in my involvement in church activities. In one year from now, I will be more involve in church activities, and be more faithful in my financial responsibilities. In the next five years, I will dedicate to training my children in a moral and spiritual foundation. I will enroll all my children in Christian school, where they do not just teach only the academic but also impact moral and spiritual etiquette into their pupils, clearly outline in their syllabi.

In the next fifteen years, I want to establish my own world in the film industry, dedicate to only spiritual and ethical film production. My bible tells me that even if we are in the world, we are not of the world (John 17:14).  I would write my script, act and produce my own movie in all formats; action, thriller or epic movie. Call it any name but one thing that matter is that it will be spiritually inclined and ethically scripted. I will dedicate my artwork to the preaching of Christ’s gospel to humanity across the globe via entertainment industry. In twenty years, I would incorporate my children into the acting job as their interest goes. Those that are not interested in the entertainment industry will have the right to their choice of career but I and their mother will guide them on the right path. I will make sure they do not deviate from the spiritual and ethical path I had shown them.


Physical and Health
I am a lover of sport but because of the injury involve, I had removed soccer from my favorite sporting activities. Table Tennis/ Pin Pong is now my number one indoor game. I lost my Table recently but within the next one year, I would make sure I buy a replacement for it. I am planning to buy a house as well, in which I would try to make sure is a pool house like my previous one to familiarize my kids with swimming. In the next two to five years, I should have moved out of rented house to my own house, equipped with more indoor sporting equipment like; treadmills, bike, swimming pool etc. These will help me to maintain my fitness as long as I am still in U.S. Navy selective reserve; it is mandatory to exercise regularly to be fit.

In the next fifteen years, I will buy more health care insurance to compensate for whatever my present health care is not covered. I will make sure all my family is fully covered with health care. In the next twenty years, I will make sure all my family continues to eat our homemade African food and make sure all my children learn how to cook. These are healthy foods compare to all the fast foods and refrigerated or pre-cooked foods in all American grocery store.

Social and Cultural
I still believe that I will travel wide some day despite the fact that I had known many people at different working pleases and have traveled to more than fifteen countries while serving in U.S. military. I still want more on my own because I have confirmed an adage that says ‘traveling is part of education’. Military travel is restricted, no liberty of your own, you either go out in three or more, which deprived you of your personal interest. I need this more to establish my tentacle in the film industry, networking is part of what keep artist busy in the industry. In next one year, I would use all my social media more when I am done with my classes. Presently, I have friends on Facebook, Link In, and connect with friends on the histogram and follow some notable people on twitter.

In the next five years, all my progress in the artwork will be published in all these social media networks and it will be my major source of reaching my fans to listen to their review and feedback for improvement. All my artwork will be endowed with universal culture, base on the theme of each screenplay, I will showcase the cultural heritage of every location that feature in my story. Most especially African culture will always have its place in every script I write and produce.

In fifteen years to come, I will employ all necessary assistance to help my children learn more than one language, at least two – my native language, Yoruba, and English. I will train my children in Yoruba culture, even though living in America. Possibly, my children education will be both in Nigeria and America, in other to be able to differentiate between the two culture and pick what is best for them. In the next twenty years, I will be the custodian of African culture both in dressing and socializing practices.

Mental and Education
I have submitted my application for graduation and will continue my class work towards the success of the graduation. After this program, I will continue my education, I have the intention of using my part of my 19 months left over from my Gi Bill to pursue a certificate in Animation at Victor Valley college. 

In the next five years when I will become an independent producer, I will incorporate my scriptwriting skills with animation to make great movies. Fifteen to twenty years, I will start developing an electronic version of all African local indoor games and make them accessible worldwide.










Reference
Barker, J.A. (1992) Paradigms: The business of discovering the future. New york: HerperCollins.
Marquardt, M. (2002). Building the learning organization: Mastering the five elements
            for corporate learning. Palo Alto, CA: Davies-Black Publishing.
40–143. Retrieved from Business Source Premier Database
Lankau M.J., Scandura.T.A., Tejeda M.J., & Werther B.W ( 1996). Perspective On Mentoring.
            Leadership and organizational Development Journal. 17.3 p.50. Expanded
Mintzberg, H. (2009). Rebuilding companies as communities. Harvard Business Review.
Senge, P. (2006). The fifth discipline: The art & practice of the learning organization. New            York, NY:  Doubleday.
Showers B. & Joyce B. (2002). The Evolution of Peer coaching. Educational Leadership.
Retrieved from: EBSCO; http://sfxhosted.exlibrisgroup.com/waldenu?sid=google&auinit=B&aulast=Showers&atitle=The+evolution+of+peer+coaching&title=Educational+Leadership&volume=53&date=1996&spage=12&issn=0013-1784



No comments:

Post a Comment